An introduction to the religion, philosophy, and science of Divine Metaphysics as explained
by Rev. F. Reed Brown, President of the United Metaphysical Churches.
United Metaphysical Churches
Declaration of Principles
1. We believe in God as Infinite Intelligence.
This is how we express our belief in a supreme higher power; a Universal Energy. Our creator is present everywhere, manifesting as life through ALL forms of matter. We call this power God
2. We believe that the phenomena of nature, both physical and spiritual, are the expression of Infinite Intelligence.
All forms of life are manifestations of God, and thus all of humankind we consider to be children of God.
3. We affirm that a correct understanding of such expression and living in accordance therewith constitute a true religion.
A correct understanding of the nature of God and living in harmony with this divine spark within us all, is the basis for our religion and spiritual understanding.
4. We believe in personal responsibility and that we create our own happiness or unhappiness as we live in harmony or discord with natural physical and spiritual laws.
"Man himself is responsible for the welfare of the world in which he lives; for its welfare or its misery, for its happiness or unhappiness, and if he is to obtain Heaven upon Earth, he must learn to make that heaven, for himself and for others. Individually, man is responsible for his own spiritual growth and welfare. Sins and wrong-doing must be outgrown and overcome. Virtue and love of good must take their place. Vicarious atonement has no place in the philosophy of [Divine Metaphysics]."-Joseph P. Whitwell
5. We affirm that the existence and personal identity of the individual continues after leaving the physical world.
We believe that the soul survives the transition we call death.
6. We affirm that communication with Spirit is a natural experience and is demonstrated through mediumship.
Moses and Elias continued to exist after death and were able to be personally identified when they appeared to Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Every person who has ever repeated the Apostle's Creed which says, ‘I believe in the communion of saints’ has acknowledged communication with the so-called dead.
7. We affirm that spiritual gifts, including prophecy and healing contained in the Bible and other Sacred Texts are divine attributes found in all people.
We affirm our belief of the spiritual truths that are contained in the Bible and sacred texts of all religions from around the world. Instances of prophecy and healing are not unique to Divine Metaphysics. They are universal; occurring in all cultures over the ages around the world.
8. We believe that the highest morality is contained in the Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
This way of thinking and behaving points us in the direction of living a peaceful and harmonious life. We believe, that if practiced universally, it will bring peace and happiness to humankind.
9. We affirm that the doorway to reformation is always open to any human soul, here or hereafter. (We do not accept the idea of eternal damnation.
"A natural life, where the opportunity for growth and progress to better, higher and more spiritual conditions are open to all, even as they are here on the earth plane of life. We accept no such teaching as a "Hell Fire," but we do teach that sin and wrong doing will necessarily bring remorse and suffering that would be difficult to describe in words and which can only be relieved by the individual's own efforts, if not here, then in the hereafter. If we make our own lives better while here, and that of our neighbors happier, we shall unfold that happiness of heaven on earth, which we carry with us into the Spirit World." -Joseph P. Whitwell